Nixon did more harm to free thinking & the freedom of speech than any other American has, think of the deaths and atrocities tied to Nixon's reign of power. But he got what he wanted WAR, and to this day we are fighting against the "war on drugs" that Nixon began.
Vote Yes on Prop 19 end Nixon's reign of terror!
In 1971, President Richard Nixon appointed Pennsylvania Gov. Raymond P. Shafer to chair a national commission to report on the effects of marijuana and other drugs and recommend appropriate drug policies. Though Shafer was a former prosecutor and was known as a "law and order" governor, he did not give Nixon the alarmist findings that the President wanted.
Among the Commission’s findings were:
- "No significant physical, biochemical, or mental abnormalities could be attributed solely to their marihuana smoking."
- "No verification is found of a causal relationship between marihuana use and subsequent heroin use."
- "In sum, the weight of the evidence is that marihuana does not cause violent or aggressive behavior; if anything marihuana serves to inhibit the expression of such behavior."
- "Neither the marihuana user nor the drug itself can be said to constitute a danger to public safety."
- "Marihuana’s relative potential for harm to the vast majority of individual users and its actual impact on society does not justify a social policy designed to seek out and firmly punish those who use it."
An unhappy President Nixon called Gov. Shafer on the carpet and pressured him to change the Commission’s conclusion saying, "You see, the thing that is so terribly important here is that it not appear that the Commission’s frankly just a bunch of do-gooders."Shafer declined to change his conclusions, and Nixon declined to appoint him to a pending federal judgeship.
Nixon's reaction to the findings of the Schafer commission's report, shows the war on drugs began from political motivation and not from concerns for the publics safety.
Today the war on drugs is:
a war on marijuana,
a war on the general public,
a war on personal freedoms,
a war that must end now!